Thursday 14 July 2011

Tambourine

Shake that tambourine
Take that sound beyond the realm
Of fancy and dream

Bear a likeness to your grandmother
Back in the days, twins resembling one another
Bedouin-like nomad life, not having the faintest idea
What the future brings, having the prior
To life

Strike that tambourine
Take it to the place of memory
Where you taught me to read and write
Distinguished between wrong and right
Child playing as it should at its age
The moment an adult turns the page

Strike that tambourine
Take the confusion which reigns supreme
Where a whole nation hid in fear
Shared the pain, no time for a silent tear

Havoc came running along
My word was my bond
Havoc came marching along
My word was facing a storm

Strike that tambourine
Take it a step further to destiny
Tell me your story, put a sign up the door
Tell me what happened that morning, even before
Your exodus, joined the queue
A misery shared by few
Trying to free them from your embrace
Consult the youth, they have the good grace
Before setting out on the journey back home
Make sure, boys and girls have grown
To leaders, ready to lead the next generation by the arm
With reassurance, combined with charm

Shake that tambourine
Heard in my dreams that scream
Of a nation, strike that tambourine

Startle me from my sleep

Still waters and pain run deep

You keep silent
They keep being violent

Strike that tambourine
Spark Black African dream

No comments:

Post a Comment